Weltwärts is a 12-months scholarship and volunteer program that is providing you with hands-on learning opportunities related to the Sustainable Development Goals. The scholarship promotes volunteering as an important way by which people serve society and foster peace. You will contribute your time and talents for the benefit of others. In turn, the scholarship will provide you with high quality learning opportunities for personal growth in order to become an Active Global Citizen:
- to grow personally in an informal learning process through personal interaction, intercultural exchange and the transfer of knowledge and experience, supported by structured reflection and input;
- to acquire knowledge by participating in formal and informal quality learning opportunities regarding issues related to the Sustainable Development Goals; and
- to make a concrete contribution to a public welfare oriented or charitable community project organization in the social sector in Germany.
Working field: Social Sector
The scholarship primarily focuses on working with projects in the social sector. The range of voluntary assignments and project organizations is as varied as German society itself and will differ from year to year.
- Social involvement: providing assistance to mentally or physically disabled people in their daily and work life (e.g. in handicapped workshops), assisting social workers in the field of youth welfare and refugee support, aid kindergarten teachers, supporting elderly people in their everyday life, etc.
- Coordinating chores: assistance in facility work and household chores of public welfare oriented and charitable organizations (e.g. helping out with kitchen work and gardening), preparatory tasks for seminars and events (i.e. event management), etc.
- Environmental focus: supporting ecological farms (e.g. gardening, animal care) or national parks and outdoor education organizations (e.g. conducting environmental education), etc.
- Educational purposes: assisting social workers and staff at schools and boarding schools with free-time activities and other extracurricular activities, etc.
Application And Project Selection
You apply for program participation based on your interest in issues related to the Sustainable Development Goals and your general openness for voluntary involvement. You will be assigned to a suitable project organization by AFS Germany based on your individual preferences regarding the different working fields. A more detailed description of opportunities will be available during the application process.